Saturday, July 26, 2008

Words of Thanks

Dearest Leaders and Prefects

Firstly I would like to show my appreciation to you for celebrating my birthday today. I am very touched by all your wonderful gestures. Do not spend unnecessary money the next time (if there is one :)) because what I like most is the two beautiful A3 Birthday cards with birthday greetings and word of thanks. In fact the only present I remember from last year was the little handmade book with all the birthday greeting from my prefects. :)

It has not been an easy journey personally for me this year. Mrs Goh (unfortunately she left to take up another post) and myself came out with the organizing structure and through your online votes the EXCOs. We believe then that with this, the EXCOs can lead the rest of the council in our mission to make the school better for all. We did start the year with a bang during the sec 1 orientation and we receive great review for our works. After that the leaders was allocated events to assist the teachers to plan like Chinese New Year, Total Defence Day, International Friendship Day etc.

Much was expected from the HLC even though it was only established in November last year. In May I did a review and at that time I feel that it failed to reach it’s potential. Being leaders you have many opportunities to influence through your CCA to help the school but have we been doing it? Have we model the way for people to follow? Have we enlist other to act in our shared vision of a better school for all? Call me old fashion but I was brought up the Scouting way in which one of the Scout Law is to be discipline and considerate. At times I fail to see that in some of you even my own Scout. As Leaders you are always in the limelight so please be more aware of yourself and your surrounding when you do things because you are also projecting an image of the Board/Council. Frankly I also felt the council is way too passive and is waiting for the school to instruct you to do things.

However there are light at the end of the tunnel and we must continue to strive and make it happen. You had done an excellent job in both the hosting events of the foreign students and had been wonderful ambassador for the school. If you talk about outcomes, I thought the Sec 1 orientation and your hosting of the foreign students are examples of success of the HLC. Let us build on this small success and continue this journey together. We still have 2 more hosting, the cheering competition, our Youth corner and the year end camp to look forward too.

A new organization structure will be out to us move us forward. I have gathered some suggestions from the sec 2s that went on the Student Leaders Exchange program which we can implement in out council/board.

Well enough of nagging from the old teacher. Lastly I would like to thank all of you again for today. Really appreciated because you have made me feel the journey ahead is worthwhile. My wish is that the Board and the Council can work hand in hand for the betterment of HS and all the best for your CA and Prelim.

-=”Seize the Day”=-
from the movie Dead Poets Society

No comments: